On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 10:58 -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> On 3/27/07, Ralf Mattes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 22:05 -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> > > Ok folks,
> > >
> > > I am developing on Windows.  I have VC6, VS2005, and Cygwin installed.
> > >  I would prefer ot use VS2005, but VC6 will work, Cygwin is a last
> > > resort, VERY last resort.  I first thought I would try Ralf's advice
> > > of running  apxs -g -n fancy_image_handler, but I cannot find  apxs on
> > > my Windows machine.
> >
> > Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I only recalled on my way home that you're
> > running on Windows.
>
> Not a problem I got it worked out;)
>
> > I can't comment at all on Windows development - never done it. Iff you
> > want your module to run on Unix/Linux as well it might be a good idea to
> > install VMWare Player and live images for Linux(Ubuntu), Solaris and
> > NetBSD/OpenBSD.
>
> Oh, I have lots of *NIX machines to pick from, I have a OpenBSD
> machine (my firewall), Solaris 8, and a SuSE Linux, no need for
> VMWare.

Good. Still - the virtual testserver thing really grew on me: I have a
clearly defined build/test environment (ever been bitten by a missing
library that was never detected because it happend to be installed on
you test system?).

>  There are two issues, equally big, in terms of me doing the
> development on anything other then Windows:
>
> 1: The GUI frontend to the system is all 100% Windows right now, even
> though the web side can stand on it's own, it would be a pain to have
> to go back to windows all the time to change the data feeding the
> kiosk.
>
> 2: I know the tools in Windows to do C/C++ development, been using
> them for over a decade now.  I have never developed in *NIX, so there
> is most definitely a learning curve.

Definitely. I'd dread to heve to learn Windows API and frameworks.

> The way I see it, I will make my best effort to keep the module
> platform neutral.  I am thinking about taking the time to learn how to
> setup the module with, I think it is called, automake, so that I can
> see if I can get it to compile and run on one of the other platforms I
> have, but if it takes too much time, I am willing to shelve it for
> now, it just means there might be more work later to fix the bugs when
> I take the GUI cross platform.  Can anyone point me to some good,
> quick and easy documentation to setup an automake project?

You mean 'automake the BEAST' ? :-)
Gosh, _that's_ a real monster. I'd start with the automake book:

 GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool, by Tromey et al.

But beware: <utomake is a moving target and has changed since the book
was written ...
Unless you need some fancy system dependent functionality and you stick
to libapr for portability you might just copy/morify the automake setup
of an existing module.

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes