If this is indeed a follow-up to my question way back when about
mod_rewrite, mod_proxy, and digest authentication, I was unable to
find a real solution. What I ended up doing was excluding the digest
authentication from proxying, and instead doing it on the forward
facing server (the one doing the proxying).

This worked because the back-end pages were accessible without
authentication, but they used http_auth values to identify users for
non-apache based authorization.