Vaughan,

> What I have so far are 2 filters which gather the inbound traffic and
> outbound traffic for each transaction. These work ok and when logging
> transactions to file all of the in/out byte amounts appear to be correct.
> The first problem however, is that each child has its own set of memory and
> therefore keeps its own totals per virtual host. This also means that
> multiple logging events occur for each transaction. I could just log this
> all to database but it would 1) be inefficient and 2) cause the size of the
> database to grow quite quickly.

It sounds to me like you could go two ways with this. I don't know the
format of your database table, but it should be possible to update it
atomically using something like:

INSERT INTO bandwidth (vhost_id, bw_in, bw_out) VALUES (42, 1124,
5023409) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE bw_in = bw_in + 1124, bw_out = bw_out +
5023409

but that could lead to a lot of load. Another way might be for each
child to collect statistics and only flush to the database periodically,
say every 30 seconds (perhaps configurable on a per-vhost basis, so that
load-heavy sites could have larger update intervals). It would still be
possible to use the query above though.

This query could probably even be updated to split statistics on a
date/time basis, if you require more granular reporting.

Or have I missed/misunderstood something?

Dave