Maybe, I'm missing something.  I was talking about needing to change apache,
but I decided to try something else.

I've got this:

<FilesMatch ".*[^(login.php|logout.php)]">

AuthType Digest

AuthName "account"

AuthUserFile /home/path/public_html/account/.htpasswd

Require user admin

</FilesMatch>

<Files login.php>

AuthType Digest

AuthName "account"

AuthUserFile /home/path/public_html/account/.htpasswd

Require user admin

</Files>

<Files logout.php>

AuthType Digest

AuthName "account"

AuthUserFile /home/path/public_html/account/.htpasswd

Require user logout

</Files>

I access login.php and have access to the entire directory which via ajax.

Then I access logout.php and have access to logout.php, but nothing else.
Good.

Next, time I try to access login.php using Safari and ajax with the right
creditials, I get a popup with login user name filled out.

Am I mistaken in thinking I should not be logged in as admin?  Or that there
is someway to force this to happen?

Michele