So, for what it's worth, it ends up that it will work with either
the direct linking as I was trying or with LoadFile

   It will work FOR NOW, on that ONE SERVER, if you directly
link a library.  Loadfile will work now, and in the future,
and on other servers, rather than causing incorrect results
or crashes in the future.
--
Ray Morris
supp...@bettercgi.com