Browser based session
Session On
SessionCookieName session path=/
But it doesn't say where or how to do this. I'm sure everyone in this group will take that sort of thing for granted, but it's infuriating for those of us coming
to Apache Modules for this first time.

   It would be redundant for the documentation of each every
module to repeat the basic "how to configure Pache" information,
as the information you seek is the same for every module.

Is there no documentation available on Apache Modules? There are a couple of
books on Amazon, but is there nothing on the web?

According to Google there are about 2.25 million tutorials which will
show you "where or how to set" Apache directives:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Apache+configuration+tutorial&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m1

To get much more useful results when using mailing lists such as this one, see the following instructions which I've found useful for myself. You may notice that this document specifically addresses several things that directly
apply to your post:

https://www.bettercgi.com/gpl/smart-questions.html
--
Ray Morris