I have implemented Ben's hack in mod_pagespeed in
http://code.google.com/p/modpagespeed/source/detail?r=345 .  It works great.
 But I am concerned that a subtle change to mod_rewrite.c will break this
hack silently.  We would catch it in our regression tests, but the large
number of Apache users that have downloaded mod_pagespeed do not generally
run our regression tests.

I have another idea for a solution that I'd like to see opinions on.
Looking at Nick Kew's book, it seems like I could set request->filename to
whatever I wanted, return OK, but then also shunt off access_checker for my
rewritten resources.  The access checking on mod_pagespeed resources is
redundant, because the resource will either be served from cache (in which
case it had to be authenticated to get into the cache in the first place) or
will be decoded and the original resource(s) fetched from the same server
with full authentication.

I'd appreciate any comments on this approach.

-Josh