Thanks for the feedback, Ben!  You are omniscient in the ways of Apache.
 I'll try to lobby for an update to the mod_deflate page.

Your concerns about Magento are interesting -- my impression from our forums
and Twitter is that mod_pagespeed is successfully accelerating many Magento
sites now, since releasing the mod_rewrite workarounds, which we were able
to do thanks to your help a few months ago.  The reason that we don't have
problems with vary:user-agent on HTML is that we don't ever cache HTML under
any circumstance.  We assume HTML generally varies on user-agent, cookies,
locale-of-client, and is generally updated frequently.

Does Magento actually vary the content of CSS & JS based on user-agent?  Or
does it only vary the content of HTML?

You've dissuaded me from trying to infer the intent of the site
administrator, and we will find another way to phase in vary:user-agent
compliance without falling off a performance cliff.

-Josh