On 2 Aug 2013, at 20:02, Rizzo, Christopher wrote:

> The Apache HTTP server is rejecting the request (with "400 Bad Request") due
> to this Hostname value in the header before a registered IPP Apache module
> even sees it.

A quick check confirms what you say.

> Is it possible to write a hook or filter that would prevent Apache from
> rejecting this request and allowing this Hostname Host Header value to pass
> thru, or does the Apache base source code need to change for this?

This fairly clearly wants a patch to the core code.  Its comment suggest it's
not trying to be strict, but just to filter out characters that couldn't
feature in
a Host: header (at the time the code was written) and save having to think
about security of filesystem-sensitive characters.

> and the Apache code that is logging this error appears to be fix_hostname()
> in ./server/vhost.c

Yep, that's the one.  Looks like the protocol you're using is NOTIMPL.

I'd suggest filing a new bug in bugzilla, referencing the protocol you
want to support and what characters/patterns should be allowed but
are currently blocked.  Best chance of getting it dealt with quickly may
be if you also supply a patch, but make sure to address the security
concerns hinted at in the comments if you do that.

You'd also want to move any further discussion to the dev list.

--
Nick Kew