I've reviewed the last three years of the list and I can't find a commentary on
this issue, nor was I able to find one on goofle.

Consider an incoming request which might have either an IPv4 or an IPv6
address.  The module wants to know which one.  It is possible to sscanf the
value in r->useragent_ip to see which format it matches.  However, this is a
relatively expensive operation for a small amount of info unless "most" are one
or the other; then the test sequence can be optimized ... which according to
Finagle's Law, will always be the wrong way around on somebody else's system.

Is there a more efficient way to do this?