On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, brian d foy wrote:

> >     Apache::ConfigFile suffers from a complete lack of tests and a
> >     rather clumsy API. Also, it doesn't support quoted strings
> >     correctly.
>
> those things should be fixed.

That sounds like a good idea.  However, I took a look through the code and
decided it was more trouble than it was worth.  My module took around 4
hours to write, including docs and tests.  I don't think I could have
fixed Apache::ConfigFile's many problems so quickly.  In particular,
coming up with a better API for an existing module tends to be a lengthy
process of negotiation.  Just because I don't like the current API doesn't
mean the author agrees!

> >     Apache::ConfigParser comes closer to my needs, but contains code
> >     specific to parsing actual Apache configuration files.
>
> I would think yours would too, based on the name.  perhaps a name that
> describes the format instead of an example use is better.

I tried to make it obvious that my module deals with the format of the
Apache config files rather than with Apache config files themselves.
That's why it's called Config::ApacheFormat rather than Config::Apache or
Apache::* anything.

However, my module is general enough that it should work with real Apache
config files.  It just doesn't have any of Apache's configuration
rules hard-coded in the module like Apache::ConfigParser does.

Do you have a better name in mind?  I considered Config::Apachesque, but I
decided it was too cute.

> also, what about the many configuration data modules in Config::*
> and ConfigReader::*?  some of those handle the block style.

My purpose in providing an Apache-format configuration file is to leverage
existing expertise among the sys-admins where I work.  Another syntax that
also supports nested blocks with parameter inheritance would not meet this
goal.

-sam