On 10/01/2016 11:07 PM, David Golden wrote:
Hi, Peter. Thank you for taking the time to organize and share your thoughts.

> It took me a considerable amount of time to put this together, I hope
> you will respect this effort by crafting a similarly thought out response.

Please don't confuse the speed and brevity of my response with a lack of consideration. I've spent many hours over the past couple weeks considering this situation and discussing it with other administrators.

This line was not directed at you specifically, but rather to the wider set of folks who might be replying to this email.

> === Question to the PAUSE admins
> To put it in the simplest terms: what is the conversation we are having here?

In the simplest terms:

(1) Matt appears to believe he transferred first-come permissions to you for administrative purposes, not to abrogate his interest in the direction of the project. [I will ask him to explain this himself publicly, since that hasn't happened yet.]

This is correct, and happened 6 years ago. At that time both me and Matt were completely different people, and what's more important - the project was something completely different ( i.e. a rather crude proof of concept, compared to what it s today )

(2) You appear to believe that because first-come permissions were transferred to you, you can make whatever permissions changes you like without consultation with Matt, other maintainers or the DBIC community at large.

The administrative transfer *combined* with the amount of work put in by myself, and the utter disinterest of all other maintainers, places me practically, procedurally and morally in the position to unilaterally decide what to do with said project.

Given the conflict between these views, and given that it was raised to the attention of PAUSE administrators by both you and Matt, we have laid out the principles by which this should be resolved.

I again must stress that there has been a huge 9+ months "discussion period" during which nobody (besides mst) came forward expressing concerns regarding my plans. And I have stated unambiguously on the record that I am done pretending Matt has the user community interest at heart, nor am I longer interested what views does Matt hold, or what he believes. Enough is enough.

> The selected person will not be announced until after [changing permissions]
> [...large snip...]
> If the PAUSE admins feel [Matt's] complaints do have merit - the only way
> to address them would be by fiat.

As you have quoted the principles I laid out in my earlier email, I'm disappointed in this response. I'm left to conclude that either you don't understand what we're saying or else you're choosing a defiant stance for your own purposes.

Given there has been a single complaint, by a problematic figure, not backed up by anyone else: Yes, I truly do not understand what you are saying.

In the hope that it's the former, I will attempt to clarify, this time with less diplomacy and fewer words.

* PAUSE administrators feel the dispute has merit or we wouldn't be involved.

* We have already acted by fiat to instruct you not to transfer permissions unilaterally.

I understand your desire not to engage with Matt, but feel that's not in the best interests of the communities involved.

I refuse to engage with Matt because he does not represent the community you are so valiantly trying to protect. This has little to do with desires, but rather has to do with being honest at this stage.

I again plead to any of: either a recent (or not so recent, but consider adding why you quit) committer, or heavy users who do in fact represent "the community" to add their voice to this thread.

Lacking the above: this entire exchange is Matt continuing to harass me ( this time with the help of PAUSE admins ) and me continuing to not cave in to his bullying.

I'd like to you to consider some scenarios:

1. You announce your successor; Matt and other co-maintainers endorse your choice → problem solved.

2. You announce your successor; Matt and other co-maintainers disagree → argument ensues.

Imagine, hypothetically, if you announced the successor *after* transferring permissions:

3. Matt and other co-maintainers endorse your choice → problem solved.

4. Matt and other co-maintainers disagree → argument ensues, but you no longer hold permissions and the argument is left in the hands of your successor.

I hope you realize that scenario #4 is strictly worse for your end goals for DBIC than scenario #2.

I do not share this view ( that #4 is worse ), otherwise I would not have gone down this path. #4 is not an ideal, but a viable chance for the user community to come together and take responsibility for steering things further.

Moreover, from the standpoint of the user community, what's important isn't who has what permissions, it's the actual future development direction and governance model for DBIC. *The community is best served by having the argument play out if one is required.*

Unfortunately, that means that the *most* *responsible* thing you can do among your final acts as maintainer is engage Matt and/or the other comaintainers and/or the DBIC community at large with your thoughts about direction and a successor maintainer, despite your misgivings about interacting with Matt.

The *least* *responsible* thing to do would be to continue the current course, refuse to engage with Matt and others, and transfer permissions to a successor unilaterally against the express instructions of PAUSE administrators. Being irresponsible in that way would uncut your moral authority to set direction or see your succession wishes respected by PAUSE admins.

Above you say "refuse to engage with Matt and others": again - there have been no "others" to date. No user or former committer has come forward with anything even resembling dissatisfaction since I announced my plans last December. Once again - the word "community" is being thrown rather liberally here. So far this entire conversation is based around a single person's delusion repeated over and over again among the lines of [1]:

...and having asked around, none of frew, ilmari or castaway, who along with
myself and ribasushi have formed the DBIC steering cabal for quite some
time, have heard anything at all about this, and so we have no idea who he
thinks he's going to transfer the permissions to or why.
This "steering cabal" that he speaks of self-disbanded in mid 2013 and has not existed in any shape way or form that anyone could possibly interact with.

Therefore, I hope you'll reconsider your stance and choose to engage more constructively.

I state again that if there are actual complaints from people involved: I would like to hear them / about them, and I pledge to address them constructively. Otherwise I plan to keep the present course, time permitting.

RIBASUSHI

[1] http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2016/10/msg96178.html