Following code in mod_wsgi is wrong:

    if (*PyString_AsString(result) == '\0') {
        PyErr_SetObject(PyExc_StopIteration, Py_None);
        Py_DECREF(args);
        Py_DECREF(result);
        return 0;
    }

Meant to be checking length of string, not whether first character is a null.

Thus:

    if (PyString_Size(result) == 0) {
        PyErr_SetObject(PyExc_StopIteration, Py_None);
        Py_DECREF(args);
        Py_DECREF(result);
        return 0;
    }

It was done correctly in mod_wsgi 3.0 although code in that area had
been changed around to handle Python 3.0 unicode strings. Not sure why
I didn't notice that it was wrong and fix it in mod_wsgi 2.X.

Anyway, the problem would affect mod_wsgi 2.0 and mod_wsgi 2.1 on
Windows or Apache 1.3 on UNIX.

Working version of mod_wsgi 2.2 which includes this and other fixes
can be checked out from subversion at:

  https://modwsgi.googlecode.com/svn/branches/mod_wsgi-2.X

More details in:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ChangesInVersion0202

Haven't yet updated this with details of this fix yet though.

Graham