2008/12/22 meppum <mmep...@gmail.com>:

> What about apache mpm settings? Any examples on what they should be
> for say the default WSGIDaemonProcess setting of 15 threads? Thanks.

The defaults for standard Apache source distribution are:

# worker MPM
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
    StartServers          2
    MaxClients          150
    MinSpareThreads      25
    MaxSpareThreads      75
    ThreadsPerChild      25
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

This is a reasonable starting point.

This allows for a lot more concurrent connections, but if you are also
serving static files and default of keepalive being on is still in
use, the maximum of 150 clients is okay, especially since it will only
create more than 2 Apache child worker processes if it really needs
to.

I would only bother starting to fiddle with the defaults when you have
realistic estimates of the sort of load you would need to handle.

Graham