Yes, I did.  Now that you mention it, I am not sure why I felt I needed to
do that.
... Something must have prompted me to do it, but I cannot remember now.  It
must have had something to do with seeing the following example line:

os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = 'mysite.apache.settings_production'

... And then misinterpreting/misreading the example lines on the mod_wsgi
page for IntegrationWithDjango:

sys.path.append('/usr/local/django')

sys.path.append('/usr/local/django/mysite')

So, looks like I was being more daft than I originally thought.  Note to
self (and anybody else who ever finds themselves being equally daft): there
is no reason to put the ./apache/ directory in the sys.path; only a need to
make sure it can get there if needed, by providing the ./apache/__init__.py
file (if wanting to import a production settings/urls file from ./apache/)

Thanks for continuing to work through it-- I was clearly burned out
yesterday, and my troubles were self-created!

Tim