Got it working.  Thx.

The Python build error:
"relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC"

Was resolved by completely deleting the previous Python 2.6.5 install:

rm -rf /usr/local/bin
rm -rf /usr/local/includes
rm -rf /usr/local/lib

Then performing a rebuild with the correct parameters "--enable-
shared' etc...

The odd thing however is it installed 2.6.2 instead of 2.6.5.  I
performed the build twice to confirm.  I had 2.6.2 under /usr/bin and
under /usr/local/bin after the build.  I have no explanation why this
did this.  I was compiling under my Python-2.6.5 directory and when
not using the '--enable-shared' 2.6.5 installs.  So I deleted it and
opted to install 3.1.2 instead with all the correct parameters.

That worked fine and typing "python3" launched Py3.1.2.  I was then
able to compile mod_wsgi against it -- restarted Apache and it worked
like a champ.  Interesting however; my "AB" test shows 3.1.2 slower
than 2.6.2 by a significant amount.  I then recompiled mod_wsgi
against 2.6.2 and ran the same "AB" tests and it performed as
expected.