UPDATE! Some of these complaints may have been solved by rebooting. Upon
investigating this phenomenon, the OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) Server.app does
NOT in fact restart Apache.

It turns out that Server.app is built on top of a subsystem that runs httpd
as root user. As a security precaution, it forks off a clone of this root
httpd process that uses user _www. When you use the Server.app GUI button
to "Stop" and "Start" the web service, you are restarting the Apache's _www
process NOT the root process that loads the mod_wsgi configuration This
also applies to the Terminal commands:

sudo serveradmin stop web
sudo serveradmin start web

To REALLY restart the Apache parent process and reload the WSGI
configuration, you have to use the commands:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist

which is the equivalent of rebooting.

I should explain that my installation is NOT the default Server.app
mod_wsgi setup but rather the custom built daemon mode module. The built in
WSGI webapp configuration may have a different behavior, I am not sure.

In any case, the original problems still remain, which is that certain
objects forget what they are supposed to do:

AttributeError: '_thread._local' object has no attribute 'ramDB'

IMy guess is that under Python 3.2.3 threading must be explicitly declared
all the way down.

-- Gnarlie