overview: for this project i am implementing an API that is typically
called via curl, and all output back to the client (curl) is required to be
JSON formatted.

i have Django server code that in some instances returns specifically
formatted text to the client with specific HTTP error codes; in other
cases, e.g. authorization failure that doesn't get to my server code, i
want Apache ErrorDocument to call a script to format text with the error
code back to the client.

i have not been successful in getting this to work in my Apache con file
using  "WSGIErrorOverride On" with "ErrorDocument nun /script" as with this
configuration if my Django server code sends back an HTTP error code in
ErrorDocument that overrides what that script intended to be sent by
calling the ErrorDocument /script.

i also tried ensuring that the ErrorDocument HTTP codes and those sent by
my server script were mutually exclusive. in that case, the HTTP error text
and code sent from my Django server script is not sent back to the client
since there is no corresponding ErrorDocument.

any ideas on how to get this work are appreciated!