Hi There,

I'm currently having an issue and was hoping for a little advice on
workarounds or ways to solve it.

We have the need to extract a lot of information out of memcached before
serving requests, I thought I had something solved by using a
WSGIDaemonProcess that my wsgi scripts can use. And then simply load all
the memcached data into a singleton object at the module level of the wsgi
scripts. And this all seem to work perfectly, it takes around 40 seconds to
load all of the data but works fine after that.

My problem comes when attempting to update the wsgi files, or trying apachectrl
graceful command. At this point all subsequent requests are having to wait
for the 40 load of data to complete.

Our current deployment is using mod_wsgi 3.4, but I've updated to 4.5 and
have the same issue.

Is there a way for mod_wsgi to only start tearing down processes after
there are new processes ready and fully loaded to handle requests?

The only option I can see to move forward is to load the data required in a
background thread. This way requests can still be handled, but they may
have to load a section of the data required from memcached at request time.
Not the ideal situation as this is what I'm trying to move away from with
the pre-loading of this data. But at least this way it will only happen if
a process goes down, or someone manually gracefully restarts apache.

Would really appreciate some advice on how best to move forward, I did try
to search in this forum for a similar question, but couldn't quite find the
correct search terms.

Thank you

Steve