Graham,

No it is not different.  My understanding having read your post Graham
Dumpleton Post
<http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2014/09/hosting-php-web-applications-in.html>,
was that when configured Apache would dynamically route requests to either
the .php or through wsgi based upon the file extensions of the files
located in the particular directory.  My assumption is the
ServerName/ServerAlias would be the same for both and Apache is "routing"
the requests responses.  Based upon your response, I'm missing something;
and as such, If it is not too much trouble I would appreciate any
clarification you provide on the mechanics of how this would work when
implemented correctly.