Gnarlie,
It sounds like to upgrading from 1.5 to <something later>.  Basically,
you need to read the CHANGES file backwards from the point you're
upgrading from to current.  Yes, there are indeed scripts that will
help you convert all those tags and more.

In addition, I've written a series of upgrade help files that covers
the highlights of what you need to perform with each upgrade, starting
here:
http://moinmo.in/RickVanderveer/UpgradingFromMoin15ToMoin16

-Rick