> >> I'm guessing that is the case, but as
> >> it will be a publicly accessible system, it is quite possible there will
> >> be people with the same name - any suggestions on how to handle this in
> >> a nice way?
> >
> > Use their middle initials or some other way to make the name unique.
>
> My original plan was to have the users do all registration through one
> form (in other words, avoid repetition)

Well, then I suggest you make sure stuff is unique at registration time.

> I wasn't keen on that option, but I am keen to centralise other settings
> too, such as user timezone.  Moin isn't the only app that needs that
> setting.  I want to be sure that:

I you use a custom auth method for moin, you can keep stuff in sync with
your centralised system. E.g. ldap_login does that, but you can update
user profiles in the same way in a custom auth method for your
centralised system.

> b) if I can achieve (a), then I do not want the user changing such
> settings in Moin, as their changes would be lost on the next login

You can configure moin so some settings are disabled (not changeable).

> Could ACLs and everything else in Moin use the email address in place of
> the name value?

Maybe, I never tried that. I guess it would be ugly and also a problem
if an email address changes, then you'ld have to change acls and group
pages also.

> > GivenAuth - use some given user name (e.g. apache REMOTE_USER). Can
> > optionally strip windows or email domain, remove blanks, titlecase.
> > There are a lot of apache modules you can use this with, but the only
> > thing moin will get from this is a authenticated user name.
>
> Rather than just stripping the email domain, can it search the user data
> files to match on email address?

I don't think so, but a good and well-tested patch to search in name and
in email fields would be a considerable contribution.