Thanks for the reply Charlie.

Can you give me any pointers as to how I would set this up, I don't have a
lot of experience with Apache configuration - it's managed by our systems
admins so I'm currently stuck with CGI at the moment.

I managed to get it working by using:
$ENV{SCRIPT_NAME} = "/dir/my_app/" in myApp.pm

Then in htaccess I have:
AddHandler cgi-script .pl
Options +ExecCGI

IndexIgnore *

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ script/my_app.pl/$1 [L]

The code in my original question was based on the documentation in the
Apache Deployment info here:
https://github.com/kraih/mojo/wiki/Apache-deployment.  I really like
Mojolicious but I find that some of the documentation can be confusing for
someone that is relatively new to the framework.  I guess that this is what
this group is for though.  Thanks again.