pascal,

system() and backticks work fine from a Mojolicious app. your problem is
probably one of 3 things:

* the environment inside the mojo app is different than your interactive
shell environment. compare %ENV to your shell's printenv
* the current working directory when running the shell command isn't what
you expected. try print `pwd`;
* the user running the mojo app doesn't have the right permissions for the
command or files you're trying to use

hope this helps
jay