--On Friday, March 05, 2004 11:34 AM +0100 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I use Mon::Client and mod_perl to serve information from mon on the
Web. At the command line, everything is fine, but when running under
mod_perl (either Mason or Apache::Registry), I experience the infamous
"Segmentation fault" when calling things like list_opstatus. Other mon
commands work.

Are any of your monitor scripts returning particularly large summary/detail messages? Or are you running a large number of tests?

There are some known bugs with Perl regexp parser that Mon occasionally runs into. In particular, Mon 0.99.2 uses Text::ParseWords which is both horribly slow and has ridiculously complex regexps that sometimes cause Perl to segfault, especially if the input data is large.

I've patched my copy of Mon and Mon::Client to use split in the cases that are most likely to cause a problem. If you're interested I can send you the patch. It unfortunately requires a small change in the Mon client protocol, but any program that uses Mon::Client should work fine. And the change for non Mon::Client programs is probably 3 lines.

IMO, this is one of the big reasons why we *really* need a new stable release of Mon. I hope this is fixed in the development version, but I haven't personally tested it, as my Mon infrastructure is heavily dependent on the changes I've made to Mon, and Jim hasn't yet applied any of the patches I've sent him, as far as I know.

-David Nolan Network Software Developer Computing Services Carnegie Mellon University