Ed Ravin wrote:
On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 07:33:53PM -0500, Tim Klein wrote:
 I'd like to be able to put a whole paragraph in the
 description, rather than just one line.  I could put
 the paragraph in comments instead, but then alerts and
 clients couldn't make use of it.

There's a little-known feature of Mon that might help you here. You can set environment variables in the Mon entry for a service:

watch mumble
  service diskspace
  description less than 5% disk space free?
  MIBDIRS=/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs
  COMMUNITY=ims03l33t
  interval 15m
  monitor snmpdiskspace.monitor

The example above sets the environment variables MIBDIRS and
COMMUNITY, which will be available to the monitor program.
The mon man page says they will also be available to alert
programs.

Ooo, that puts a neat little twist on things! Not exactly what I was looking for (unless clients can query for those "custom" environment variables?), but it certainly opens up some cool possibilities for both monitors and alerts. Thank you very much for the tip! I'm still a mon newbie, but I'm liking it more and more...

Tim