On 10/2/06, Dallas Wisehaupt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has looked at modifying the Mon auth routines
> and/or those of mon.cgi in a manner that would allow this abstracted
> third party auth style.

Dallas,

We do exactly this at Carnegie Mellon, using the pubcookie system to
provide Single Sign On for web access, which operates as an apache
module that sets REMOTE_USER.

One of the patches that I wrote here and has been integrated into the
mon CVS code is an auth type "trustlocal" which allows connections to
mon from localhost to specify the authenticated user without a
password.  I have patches for an old version of mon.cgi that cause it
to honor the REMOTE_USER variable and pass it to mon.  I even updated
them for the current CSSified mon.cgi at one point, but never sent
them anywhere... :(  I'll try to  update that to the current version
and post it, maybe tonight.

-David