On 7/5/2011 12:00 PM, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> On 7/1/11 12:46 PM, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
>> On 6/14/2011 1:10 PM, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
>>> This stuff is supposed to just work. Like mon. And arpwatch
>>> has been around forever.
>>>
>>> So, I'm wondering if anyone has put together a mon monitor that can
>>> mediate the notifications from arpwatch. I'm using arpwatch-NG1.7.
>>>
>> I don't, but I have been working on a monitor to check the arp table of
>> hosts and report anomalies.
>>
>> Anyone interested?
>
> Yes.

OK, other things are slowing down my development efforts right now, but
I will get it done.

> A bit more control over reporting frequency and what is reported would
> be very good. Arpwatch produces an overload and makes it hard to use on
> a busy network since it is constantly shouting about things. If you can
> recognize that some particular hardware address was already reported for
> a particular behavior and not continue hollering about it, that would
> make it more valuable -- i.e. increase the signal to noise ratio. Any
> other correlation or diagnostic stuff would be good as well.

If you can get arpwatch to dump into a log file and build a monitor to
process that, you may get what you want.
Just an idea.

Also check out arpalert, it seems to have more features than arpwatch.

--
Sincerely,

Nathan Gibbs

Christ Media