Troex Nevelin <l...@mrtech.ru> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2013, at 21:44 , Eric Wong <normalper...@yhbt.net> wrote:
> > But seriously, who will wait 120s for a website to load?
>
> I have similar situation, in my case it's admin interface so admin
> knows that some operations need time to process and will wait.
>
> Right now I'm running two packs of Unicorn instances - one for quick
> and one for long requests. But most of the time long request pool is
> idling and eating memory.

Cranking up the timeout will improve its chances of being swapped out.
If memory usage of an infrequently used instance is a concern.

> My question: is possible to change Unicorn timeout per request from
> Rails app? Middleware hook could be ok too. (not sure if it's possible
> as I think timeout is set in master).

Right, it's currently not possible to influence the master.  And I'm
not convinced it's the right way to go, either.

What I've done in the past is to put the client in a periodic refresh
loop (meta refresh or whatever tag it was) and have it poll the app
while it was waiting for a long-running job to finish.  I think it was
(or still is) a common thing...

Btw, Rubyforge delayed this email by over 3 weeks?  But then again you
responded to a 6 month old thread %x