On 6/12/07, Matthew McKnight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have mongrel service 0.3.2 running on Win2003 64-bit, special thanks to
> Luis for getting that running. You are a great asset!

Good to know its working ;-)

> I am trying to figure out exactly what rights are needed by the account that
> is running the service. It works if I give it a domain account with local
> admin privileges, but it doesn't work if I give it a domain account without
> local admin.  I was tracing things and it looked like it was checking for
> access to the system32 directory and the ntdll.dll file. I gave the account
> modify access to system32, but no dice. No errors in the mongrel_service.log
> or servicefb.log.

This is often called LUA Bug [1]

> My security guy is wanting me to trace through the code to see what it's
> touching, he's not going to let the service account run with local admin
> privileges for long.

I will suggest you take a look at the link I just passed as reference
([1]) and also perform some testing with psexec [2] with -l option
(privileges stripped mode).

do "mongrel_rails start" in the new console window. If everything
worked, then perform the same with "mongrel_service" in console mode,
which will emulate running as service, perform the same actions, and
log everything in expected log files (please, clear them first).

I guess I'm starting to repeat my self too often on this topic, so
something could be documented and added to DOCs (patches with this are
welcome ;-)

[3] and [4] are useful threads that contains information about
tracking down the problem.

> For reference, I can run the thing under srvany.exe without local admin
> rights, and it runs just fine. But that solution is unacceptable because it
> doesn't kill the processes, making me do my own imitation of mongrel service
> and write down the process ids of the processes as they start up, so I know
> which service goes with which process when I try to have an orderly
> shutdown. I only have about 8 mongrels running on the server, but it's an 8
> core beasty, so I am looking to add more once I get this straight.

mongrel_service isn't doing anything out of usual, even getting
information about their "host" process is safer inside Local Service
account (not even admin).

I know the srvany pain. That's why I created mongrel_service. Orphaned
process are like FastCGI ones, which don't seems quite right, even on
a Windows environment ;-)

Hope this information helps,

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2006/02/06/525455.aspx
[2] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psexec.mspx