On Nov 14, 2007 2:03 PM, Benjamin van Eck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read many articles on the net today about configuring Ruby on Rails
> on a Windows server. But there doesn't seem to a one solution for all on how
> to configure a new Ruby on Rails server. So I can use some advise with this.
> I am using a Windows 2003 server and don't get many request a day. But most
> of the request are quite heavy. The main focus is on optimizing the
> requests, instead of improving the amount of page requests.

There are many ways to respond your inquiry, and the options depends
on your "server" or business requirements.

<NOTE>
I'll like to point that Mongrel isn't Rails. Mongrel is a webserver
that provides a easy hook to allow Rails run under the hood.

There are other web frameworks like Merb, Nitro and IOWA that uses
Mongrel, and each one has its pros and cons.
</NOTE>

- If you're forced to IIS (Internet Information Server) it seems
latest IIS7 support FastCGI, so using libfcgi and ruby-fcgi works out
of the box

Hmn.. I shouldn't mention that since we are in the Mongrel list ;-)

If you aren't forced to use IIS, then Mongrel will be a good
alternative for this.

You mention low request per day, but heavy requests. Is there a way
you can improve and reduce the "penalty" each request faces?
Background process that parse and perform the heavy/intensive tasks?

I can confirm this, but creating a "cluster" with swiftiply [1] on
Windows could be achieved, but had no time to investigate it further.

If you don't plan to serve static content (huge files downloads) or
file uploads, then Mongrel is a good solution.

For development and testing (staging) you can use mongrel +
mongrel_service to have a single instance and see if the solution fits
your needs.

HTH,

[1] http://swiftiply.swiftcore.org/
--