So I just found this in the mongrel FAQ (a good place for it, too!):

Q: Does Mongrel have SSL?
No, having a Ruby web server do complex SSL cryptography is stupid when you can get any of the major web servers to do it faster.
Q: Why are Apache & SSL – Redirects going to http:// not https://?
Basically, you need to pass in a header so Rails knows what to do. Read the bottom of the Apache Documentation for instructions on how to do this.

So I guess the correct approach is to redirect to http:// address.of.mongrel:3000, and to use the RequestHeader to signal to Rails that this is an https request.

Can someone confirm that my understanding is correct?

I'm asking because this config doesn't work for me, yet, but if I'm on the right track, I should be able to find the problem eventually.

Thanks: John