Forgive me for not having read the whole thread, however, there is one thing that seems to be really important, and that is, ruby hardly ever runs the damned GC. It certainly doesn't do full runs nearly often enough (IMO).

Also, implicit OOMEs or GC runs quite often DO NOT affect the extensions correctly. I don't know what rmagick is doing under the hood in this area, but having been generating large portions of country maps with it (and moving away from it very rapidly), I know the GC doesn't do "The Right Thing".

First call of address is GC_MALLOC_LIMIT and friends. For any small script that doesn't breach that value, the GC simply doesn't run. More than this, RMagick, in it's apparent 'wisdom' never frees memory if the GC never runs. Seriously, check it out. Make a tiny script, and make a huge image with it. Hell, make 20, get an OOME, and watch for a run of the GC. The OOME will reach your code before the GC calls on RMagick to free.

Now, add a call to GC.start, and no OOME. Despite the limitations of it (ruby performance only IMO), most of the above experience was built up on windows, and last usage was about 6 months ago, FYI.