This is what Mongrel invokes when that limit is hit:

    def reap_dead_workers(reason='unknown')
      if @workers.list.length > 0
        STDERR.puts "#{Time.now}: Reaping #...@workers.list.length} threads
for slow workers because of '#{reason}'"
        error_msg = "Mongrel timed out this thread: #{reason}"
        mark = Time.now
        @workers.list.each do |worker|
          worker[:started_on] = Time.now if not worker[:started_on]

          if mark - worker[:started_on] > @timeout + @throttle
            STDERR.puts "Thread #{worker.inspect} is too old, killing."
            worker.raise(TimeoutError.new(error_msg))
          end
        end
      end

So check your mongrel logs and see if mongrel is attempting (and possibly
failing) to reap workers.

You could also slap this into application.rb:

    def timeout
        Timeout.timeout(APPCONTROLLER_TIMEOUT) do
            yield
        end
    end

Where APPCONTROLLER_TIMEOUT is the number of seconds you want any given
controller action to run for.  This will effecively force timeouts to occur
independnt of host/os limits and mongrel's handling of exceptions thrown
when reaching them.

I've observed good results with that in some cases.

--> But, see also: http://ph7spot.com/articles/system_timer for more on
timeouts and how effective (or ineffective) they can be.

Meanwhile, raising that open files limit might give you some time to
bug-hunt with.  Depends on how frequent the problem is being triggered.
And have a look at HAProxy and/or NGINX if you're not already running them
as a proxy tier / combo. in front of mongrel.