On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Jenn Baker <shadowsd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hello, welcome.

> I am relatively new to the Ruby community. I did look through the archives
> and did not find anything that looked like what I am experiencing.
>
> I have tried setting up RoR with the mongrel gem on both of my machines -
> one runs Windows WP and the other runs Vista.  I was able to do some
> development for a couple of days in Netbeans and the server script was
> working, but when I updated Rubygems it started hanging.  I have uninstalled
> everything that was development related and reinstalled only MySQL and Ruby
> with the Rails, Mongrel, and MySQL gems and the problem is still occurring.
>
> Here is what I am seeing - my env info is below. If anyone can help me
> figure out what is wrong I would greatly appreciate it, since I can't
> develop what I can't look at.
>
> Running script/server:
> C:\portaltest>ruby script/server
> => Booting Mongrel
> => Rails 2.3.5 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
> => Call with -d to detach
> => Ctrl-C to shutdown server
>
> If I Ctrl-C, nothing happens until I try to hit the page in the browser -
> then the server exits

This is a known problem of script/server. Ctrl+C seems not been trap
and requires a page hit to make it work.

I recommend usage of mongrel_rails as you decided to do later here...

> running mongrel_rails start
> C:\portaltest>mongrel_rails start
> ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
> ** Starting Rails with development environment...
> ** Rails loaded.
> ** Signals ready.  INT => stop (no restart).
> ** Mongrel 1.1.5 available at 0.0.0.0:3000
> ** Use CTRL-C to stop.
> ** INT signal received.
> Terminate batch job (Y/N)? y
>
> In this case, the server does shut down without my having to hit the page in
> the browser
>

> Here is my gem environment info:
> C:\>gem environment
> RubyGems Environment:
>   - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
>   - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]
>   - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>   - RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe
>   - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby/bin
>   - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
>     - ruby
>     - x86-mswin32-60
>   - GEM PATHS:
>      - C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>      - C:/Documents and Settings/Temair/.gem/ruby/1.8
>   - GEM CONFIGURATION:
>      - :update_sources => true
>      - :verbose => true
>      - :benchmark => false
>      - :backtrace => false
>      - :bulk_threshold => 1000
>   - REMOTE SOURCES:
>      - http://gems.rubyforge.org/
>
> Again, this is happening on both my boxes despite having completely
> uninstalled all development programs and data and reinstalling only MySQL
> and Ruby.  The server is the only aspect that appears to be having an
> issue.

Is not related to mongrel but a bad trap of INT signal by script/server.

> If more information is needed, I will be happy to provide it. If the
> solution to this problem has already been posted, please send me the link.

There is no known workaround up to date, this even fails if you use
another server like Thin instead of Mongrel.

Has been recommended use mongrel_rails start instead of script/server
for quite some time, specially on Windows due this signal trap bug.

Please let us know any other issue you're having with this.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17