It's more inertia than preference.  I've been running passenger on one
of our test servers, but our production environment
consists of a pool of servers that run a bunch of low volume rails
apps.  The life cycle of these apps are managed through
custom code that launches them via mongrel_rails (this setup pre-dates
passenger).  Passenger would be a fine solution
(although I wish it provided better control over how many of which app
were running), but requires a lot of testing before
releasing to production.

One possibility is to install passenger on the production machines but
not run it in "auto-detect" mode.  That way one app
at a time could be moved to passenger.  I need to do some more testing
of that configuration.

Still in the short term the shortest path for me to get a rails 3 app on
our production servers is to be able to launch it via
mongrel_rails.