On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Srinivasan Anand <mail2san...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luis,

Hello,

I'm forwarding this to mongrel-users list as others will benefit from
the responses.

> Greetings. This is regarding the mongrel_service gem related to the Ruby
> 1.9.x versions. As suggested in some blog, I have tried integrating the
> Daemon class(as attached) from Win32Utils gems but I feel, it all depends on
> Ruby 1.8.x versions coz I getting a msvcrt-ruby18.dll not found error.

Can you provide a link to that blog? mongrel_service do not use
win32-service or the daemon class since version 0.2 or something.

It instead have an executable that mimics a service and communicate
with the ruby child process.

Now, win32-service gem is binary linked against Ruby 1.8, you will
need to force the installation of the ruby version:

gem install win32-service --platform=ruby

But for that to work, you will also need to have RubyInstaller DevKit installed:

https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit

> I had to develop an application with Ruby - 1.9 and the corresponding rails
> - 2.3.5 and co, unfortunately in the Windows environment. Now, if I shift
> the Ruby version to 1.8.7(where I can use the mongrel_service gems for
> daemonizing the application), I may need to change a whole lot of code,
> which I would like to take it as the last option.
>
> Please do suggest me any other way we can do this. The ruby version and the
> gem list I am using is as below:

Please also install mongrel_service pre-release version too:

https://rubygems.org/gems/mongrel_service/versions/0.4.beta3

gem install mongrel_service --pre

mongrel_service do not depend on win32-service anymore

> v...@vaio-pc /g/Aptana_Workspace/sssmh
> $ ruby -v
> ruby 1.9.1p430 (2010-08-16 revision 28998) [i386-mingw32]
>
> ========================================================================================================
>
> v...@vaio-pc /g/Aptana_Workspace/sssmh
> $ gem list
>
> *** LOCAL GEMS ***