Thanks.
Now the riddle is solved : line 244 in http.c determines whether a HEAD or
GET  requests is sent, by whether there is a regex to check.
That turned out to be the critical issue.
The server I am checking, apparently does not support HEAD.
I verified this by also getting a 404 when accessing it with "curl --head" .