I had posted a rough and buggy version of this before when I was in a hurry so
it behooved me to clean it up a little and make it somewhat usable.

I cannot take credit for this as it is gleaned from other sites and help I have
receive from other developers but it contains in one place things that in my
mind are relevant and should be attended. A little bit I have found out on my
own but I return that to forum as thanks for help received.  Please feel free
to annotate or

append or edit as necessary to make this a better resource for those new or
forgetful developers when it is necessary to setup cygwin and then build mono.
It really is a handy thing to be able to use for a lot of reasons which become
apparent when you need it and it is a good starting point for some developers.

The only difference between the old Cygwin setup for mono is the old one needed
a special make and the new one uses the mingw tools so the configure line is
new. I refer to that below.

 When getting Cygwin get these packages. You will want to click the view menu
at the right of the installer.  You

then want to enter each of these package names into the filter box. You will
then select the latest version in the

list window.

Make sure you select the following packages when installing:
 * autoconf
 * automake
 * bison
 * gcc-core - I think you still need this
 * mingw-gcc
 * libtool
 * make
 * python

http://www.mono-project.com/Compiling_Mono_on_Windows

 * gdb
 * gettext
 * intltool
 * libiconv
 * libtool
 * pkg-config
 * dos2unix
 * git
 * wget
 * zip
 * tar
 * vim - sorry you gotta learn it. Linux has better editors but for Cygwin vim
is it.
 * patch

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/19575/Building-Mono-on-Windows-the-final-battle

Cygwin must be update it changes mono changes slackers are left behind.

You must learn vim because you never want to edit files in Cygwin with notepad
because it
 will change the line endings and it will mess things up.

Heres one turorial
http://blog.interlinked.org/tutorials/vim_tutorial.html

Install cygwin from here:
http://cygwin.com/install.html

Let Cygwin go to C:/cygwin not program files or another drive.

 when Cygwin install is complete open a Cygwin prompt:

It is on your taskbar or desktip and it is Cygwin.bat in the Cygwin directory.

 Now as you are a novice put go here. It is a fine
 place to put mono.
 cd  /usr/src

you will get mono out of the git repository as follows:

git clone git://github.com/mono/mono.git

if you prefer a tar distribution. In the same directory

execute

wget the url to the tar file. For example

 cd /usr/src

 wget http://download.mono-project.com/sources/mono/mono-3.2.1.tar.bz2

then

tar xvf mono-3.2.1.tar.bz2

cd mono

Use the new configure:
 shown at this link http://www.mono-project.com/Compiling_Mono_on_Windows

$./autogen.sh --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --prefix=/cygdrive/c/path to directory you
want to install in somewhere on your pc

or prefix=/usr/local or /usr/opt   if you want to install in the Cygwin
environment.

still in the mono directory you can type

So right here you have a decision to make. Do you have an existing mono
implementation in your path right now?
 If the answer is yes then

make

make install

and you are done.

If on the other hand this is the first you will do something different. This is
well documented on the mono site
 but for completeness I will add it here.

execute
 make get-monolite-latest
 make EXTERNAL_MCS="${PWD}/mcs/class/lib/monolite/gmcs.exe"

Now in either case you are done. It takes awhile so dont worry.

It should be that simple.

If its not then reach out for help on the forum. Probably someone will have
answers for you. You can search the internet and find bits
 and pieces and sometimes it will be just what you need and you learn while
doing it.

Remember all the line-endings in the cygwin environment are unix format and all
your pc editors use dos file endings just one place
 in the entire setup with the wrong file endings will blow up in a bizarre way
which is very tricky to figure out.

if you want to know more about mono on Cygwin with the old version, these are
all good links

http://www.mono-project.com/Compiling_Mono_on_Windows - recently updated

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/19575/Building-Mono-on-Windows-the-final-battle

http://shana.worldofcoding.com/en/mono_cygwin_tutorial.html