Thanks for the suggestion!  Using regasm.exe on Windows, I tried creating a
.reg file for import into wine (wine regedit xxx.reg).  I also tried having
it create TLB files, then exported the .TLB version of the registry entries
to the Linux Wine installation as well.  After that, on both accounts
execution proceeded further.  However, both attempts still resulted in an
exception error when the app tried to load the library.  Maybe there's still
something else simple that I'm missing.  If you're interested in taking a
closer look, I can email you an archive of the app.