> What's the estimation of effort required to get mono buildable in
> windows and debuggable in VS? 6 man months? 18 man months?

I do builds from master for Windows regularly (but on Linux using
mingw-w64), so getting it to work shouldn't be anywhere near that
difficult. I've seen someone on irc who does builds on Windows using
VS. The Windows build on master is chronically broken but also
chronically fixed by people who rely on it. Often the build happens to
be broken during a release, and that is never fixed. (It's entirely
possible, however, that no one uses cygwin to build on master and it
never gets fixed.)

CI on Windows would certainly be helpful, especially if it included
running the Mono tests in .NET (so we know the tests are really
correct).

As for the original issue in this thread:

In file included from socket-io.c:30:0:
/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/sys-root/
mingw/include/ws2tcpip.h:38:2: error:
#error "ws2tcpip.h is not compatible with winsock.h. Include
winsock2.h instead."

I don't know anything about building with cygwin, but I would guess
something in your version of the standard cygwin headers is pulling in
winsock.h. Easiest way to find it is probably to add a define to
socket-io.c before the includes that will conflict with something
defined by winsock.h, i.e. add "int accept;" to the top of the file.