From: Mono-list <mono-list-boun...@lists.dot.net> on behalf of Baltasar García
Perez-Schofield <baltas...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 6:35:57 AM
To: mono-list@lists.dot.net
Subject: Re: [Mono-list] Current state of play, w WPF, or Olive, or Moonlight

Hi,
I'm hoping to get LinqPad running on my Ubuntu workstation. When I run
latest/greatest LinqPad, I get an error saying PresentationCore is missing.

>From some older threads (re OSX), this assembly was found in Olive.

A current Olive page on the mono-project site, says don't use Olive, use
Moonlight.

A current Moonlight page on mono-project, says don't use Moonlight.

A current look at the mono-olive list archive, is all porn, so I assume
that project is not current or maintained.

Any thoughts on how to get WPF, or at least PresentationCore, installed on
Ubuntu? Or am I out of luck.

The short answer is that yes, you are out of luck.
The long answer is that Xamarin is devoted to portable devices, and does not
care very much about the desktop.

WinForms was never finished. It seems it is crap in Mac.
Gtk# seems to be stuck in version 2, thoug there is a NuGET package for version
3 (don't know why it does only exist as a package). Still it is the best option
available, since it is portable in Windows, Linux and Mac.

There are other efforts, such as XWT, which would be great, but unfortunately
don't know about its maturity or even whether it has been abandoned. Other
toolkits are ETO, but they are not suited for your needs.

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mono-project.com%2Fdocs%2Fgui%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cmiguel%40microsoft.com%7C9583314d09ce4715c8ec08d44f55e5cf%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636220677729468050&sdata=FZPa4pr0N88hzWF17zYEFhZbHtZcdwoTrBN167nVX18%3D&reserved=0>

-- Baltasar