This of course doesn't work since it registers both mono and wine
binaries.

What we really need is native support under Linux so that the "file"
command returns something like so:

MONO 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV) for Linux

There will be times when one just wants the app to run under Linux
because it is designed for it.  If a flag is set in the compiler then
this is set.