On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 16:56 -0500, Charles Martin wrote:
> Well guys, I'm still struggling with that permission issue and I wish
> to permanently resolve this error :
>
> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
> "/root/tmp/nobody-temp-aspnet/e828334c" is denied.
>
> As I previously reported, setting permissions to 777 on /root
> temporarly fixes it but, it seems like /root resets itself after a
> while to 700.
>
> I tried "setting the path" as someone mentioned, I tried the following
>
> As root :
> # MONO_PATH=/tmp

Wrong. MONO_PATH was useful when we didn't have a GAC. Also if the
assemblies you'll load are not in /tmp, that does nothing.

> # MONO_GAC_PREFIX=/tmp

Wrong unless you have a GAC there (see 'man mono')

> # export MONO_PATH
> # export MONO_GAC_PREFIX
>
> And then changed to another user and tried "echoing" those vars, which
> responded correctly, I then stopped and restarted apache (with
> mod-mono etc.) but still got that same error where it tries to read
> files on /root/tmp/nobody...

Apache might not be passing those variables to subprocesses.

> Are there other variables I should be setting to make mod-mono put his
> temporary dlls elsewhere ?

You can provide a web.config file in which you have something like:
<configuration>
        <system.web>
                <compilation tempDirectory="/blah/blah" />
        </system.web>
</configuration>

-Gonzalo