Well, the one thing that's clear is "Invalid certificate received from server."
You said it works on other systems, so most likely there isn't an *actual*
problem with the certificate, so the question is why mono on the pi is
rejecting it.

Can you print the URL? From another system, we can connect to the URL and look
at the certificate chain, to see if there's some other possible cause of the
problem ... like multiple intermediates, or signed by a root that isn't in the
Mozilla list, or using EC keys, or supporting only up to SSLv3, or supporting
only TLS >= 1.1. Any of these would be possible explanations, that will only be
found by inspecting the cert from another system.

If there's a general problem with mono on the pi, can you try fetching some
other URL, such as
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mono/mono/master/README.md
This is just a random HTTPS url for a small file you can fetch. So you have
more clues to figure out the cause of the problem.

> I cannot find the certificates directory to
> physically confirm they are there

Did you check those directories?
To find out if you have root CA's installed, look in... (There's a distinct
possibility these directories will be different for a raspberry pi ... I'm just
not sure...)
        ~/.config/.mono/certs/Trust/
        and
        /usr/share/.mono/certs/Trust/