Hello, I am new to the list and I am wondering what kinds of experiences
people have had with porting their WinForms applications from Windows to
Mac.

I tried to do that today, and the result was horrible:
http://imgur.com/katvM1P

As you can see in the picture, there is strange sizing of buttons and
overlapping text everywhere.  The UI is very slow to draw; sometimes when I
click the window would spend about 3-6 seconds redrawing all the controls
in all of the tabs.  When you move to a new tab in the application, you
have to be lucky in order to actually see all of the components get
rendered on the screen.   At least one of the textboxes fails to process
keystrokes; I typed "So hard to use.\nKeystrokes not processed well." and
the resulting text was totally scrambled with some characters missing, some
characters duplicated, and most characters out of order." (see the
screenshot).  To be fair, that textbox is a customized one we made with
line numbering and syntax highlighting.

We have some pretty verbose tooltips on our controls.  When the tooltips
are working and you move your mouse around, duplicate tooltips appear a
bunch of times and don't disappear in a timely manner.

There seem to be a lot of bugs happening here and I don't know why.  This
application works great on Windows.  On Linux it works OK, though it looks
foreign and I had to mess with the auto-scaling settings to get everything
to be legible.

So, what's the deal with this?  Have people successfully ported WinForms
applications to Mac OS X?  Do you think I would get better results if I had
used Gtk#?

--David Grayson
http://www.davidegrayson.com/