At 2005-05-07T08:37:14-0700, Joe Wilson wrote:
>  $ time monotone --db=mt.db --key="" pull off.net net.venge.monotone
>  real    223m5.784s
>  user    219m30.140s
>  sys     0m9.827s

I'm assuming you have an adequate network connection, because obviously
pull will take a long time if your network connection is very slow.

> Is this speed typical?

Absolutely not.  As a counter example, I just did a pull of the monotone
database in twenty minutes on my Windows/MingW box (a 2.0GHz Opteron).

Note that this was using a binary built from monotone head using MingW
rather than Cygwin, and the pull was from a copy of of the monotone
database located on a local LAN, so it's not precisely apples to apple.
However, the output of 'time' indicates most of your time was spent
processing rather than waiting on network I/O, so it's not a totally
unfair comparison.

Cygwin is generally quite slow compared to native applications.  I
wouldn't have thought it would be this bad, but then again I wouldn't be
totally surprised if your performance problems disappeared if you
rebuilt using MingW (you might be able to get away with building under
Cygwin and specifying the -mno-cygwin compiler option in the right
places).

> platform:  WinNT 4.0, Cygwin (fairly recent install)
> CPU:       2 GHz Pentium4, unknown CPU cache size
> compiler:  gcc version 3.3.3 (cygwin special)
> configure: default options only
> boost:     boost_1_31_0

My build was with Boost 1.32.0, GCC 3.3, MingW 3.2.1-rc1, and default
compiler options.

> Is there a flag to have monotone show a percentage complete progress
> indicator for the pull operation?  I was just about to kill the 3.6 hour
> process thinking it had died. It does not have to be 100% accurate - just
> a rough indication of how much work is left to be done.

Unfortunately, no.  It's not really possible to do this with the current
model because the client doesn't have a way of knowing how much work is
left to do.  There has been considerable done on improving performance
in the last couple of releases, so hopefully the lack of a progress
indicator will become less of an issue.

Cheers,
-mjg
--