problem of the day....

I have several branches.

branch1 - the base branch that everything started from.

Branch2 - a branch containing branch1 which has been merged into a
directory.

branch3 - a workspace that resembles branch1, but is branch2 with a pivoted
root to the base directory.

In the process of development I added a file to branch2.  With time, changes
to branch3 need to be merged into branch1, however, this will break the
merge_into_dir merge from branch1 into branch2 on the next propagate... I
already made the mistake of attempting to propagate branch3 back to branch2,
thereby destroying everything else that has also been merged into various
directories.    So, back to where I was, in branch2 I added a file.
Manually applying the changes from branch3 to branch1, I needed the same
header.. since I cannot get this header by propagation, I went ahead and
just added it to branch1...

and now, I get a rename target conflict attemtping to propagate from branch1
to branch2...

1) how can I fix this?  can I do something that causes a drop of the new
file during the propagation?  Can I cause a rename to some other file (which
can subsequently be dropped) to happen propagating from branch1 to branch2 ?

(wonder if pluck could have been used to apply the changes... somehow I
think that pluck does not exactly resemble merge/propagate)

Jim