isn't it just as simple as adding a comment?

mtn comment rev [comment]

This adds a new comment to a committed revision (see Selectors
<http://www.monotone.ca/docs/Selectors.html#Selectors>). If comment is not
provided, it is obtained from the Lua hook edit_comment
<http://www.monotone.ca/docs/User-Defaults.html#edit_005fcomment>; the hook
is passed an empty string.

This command is a synonym for mtn cert rev comment comment.

which becomes a lot easier than any other version system...