In London Bike App (source: https://github.com/nicwise/londonbikeapp )
I check reachability to see if the network is up, and then check a
site to see if I can connect. eg:

if (Util.IsReachable("www.fastchicken.co.nz"))
                                                {
                                                        var wc = new
WebClient();
                                                        string s =
wc.DownloadString(string.Format("http://www.fastchicken.co.nz?distance={0}&time={1}";,
 distance, time));
                                                        Util.Log("trip: " + s);
                                                }

public static bool IsReachable (string host)
                {
                        return Reachability.InternetConnectionStatus () !=
NetworkStatus.NotReachable &&
                                        Reachability.IsHostReachable (host);

                }

appears to work. However, I'd suggest you also "forget" the BTFON
network, so it doesn't auto-connect. It's an open wifi, so things like
FireSheep can pull your traffic easily.

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 13:40, David Black <david.bl...@casewise.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> If you are trying to attach to a web service and you own that service why not
> add a ping method to the service? That way you test reachability, if that
> succeeds call your ping method and verify the successful call.
>
> You should keep in mind that users pay for data and only handshake a small
> amount of data and do it infrequently.

Nic Wise
t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2